National patent and utility model registration
The application procedure for an invention or a utility model to be granted a patent or a protection right comprises:
- preparing application documents and their submission to the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland,
- responding to decisions and rulings of the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland in the course of the registration procedure.
The process of preparing application documents comprises the following:
- application, including at least the applicant’s identification, application subject matter definition, as well as a motion for patent or protection rights granting,
- invention or utility model description to disclose its substance,
- objection(s) to patent or protection granting,
- drawings if indispensable for invention or utility model understanding,
- abbreviated description.
The registration procedure comprises:
- application filing with an according number being granted by the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland on the date of the application submission,
- application filing fee payment to the bank account of the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland according to the valid Patent Office fee tabulation,
- publication of the invention or utility model applying for patent or protection rights granting in the Bulletin of the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland (after 18 months have lapsed since the date of application filing),
- a six-monthly period for objections filing by third parties to prevent trademark protection rights granting,
- investigation procedure by the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland for determining statutory conditions for patent or protection rights to be granted,
- Patent Office decision on patent or protection rights granting,
- fee payment for the first protection period, in accordance with the tabulated fee list
- Patent Office issuance of a patent document or a certificate of protection rights holding.
The patent lifetime is 20 whereas the protection right lifetime for a utility model amounts to ten years, counted from the date of the invention or utility model application filing with the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland.